Master storyteller Lise Lunge Larsen brings to life the ancient stories behind the enduring words the Greeks have given us. This book is told tale by tale. (21 of 38 readers found this comment helpful). D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. Doubleday, 1962 - Juvenile Fiction - 192 pages. The language is descriptive and can be complex at times, using vocabulary like venomous and cavorted. I have included a quiz for each story/myth that is labeled in the table of contents of the classic book of Greek myths - D’Aulaire’s Book of Greek Myths written by Ingri & Edgar Parin D’Aulaire. "A treat for myth lovers and language lovers alike, this smart and well-executed compilation should provide readers with a deeper understanding of the ways in which language evolves and of the surprising symbolism behind certain words."--. Daulaires Book of Greek Myths by Ingri DAulaire available in Hardcover on Powells.com, also read synopsis and reviews. One caution: Though I read it myself starting in about 2nd grade, it may not be for very young children. ISBN13: 9780385015837 Full page drawings illustrate the stories of the gods. There is also domain-specific vocabulary specific to mythology, such as nymph and satyr. This is filled with stories of the major and minor gods, plus mortal descendants of Zeus.

Shortly after their marriage, they moved to the United States and began to create the picture books that established their reputation as two of the twentieth century's most important children's writers and illustrators. To be illustrated in full color. A classic gift book for ages 7 and up, this rich collection -- illustrated in full-color by Gareth Hinds and retold by professional storyteller Lise Lunge-Larsen --and#160; shows how the ancient myths from Greece rang so true and wise that the names of the characters have survived as words we now use every day.and#160; (A few examples are genius, tantalize, panic, muse, nemesis, fury, victory.and#160; No mythology has given English as many words as the Greek and Roman myths.) This book is so good that I repeatedly checked it out from my elementary school library and read it over and over back in the 1970's. Ingri D'Aulaire, Edgar Parin D'Aulaire. Mythology lovers, this is your book. Title: D'Aulaires' Book Of Greek Myths.

This is a large, coffee table sized hardbound book w beautiful illustrations and informative, easy to understand text. Isbn: 9780440406945. Thank you for the report! Mythology lovers, this is your book.

Not only imparting the subtle wisdom of these ancient tales, this slim book makes us understand the words more deeply. Isbn: 9780440406945. An introduction to the gods and goddesses of ancient Greece. Where did these words and#8212; and other words, such as chaos, genius, nemesis, panic, echo, and narcissus and#8212; come from? ISBN10: 0385015836 Subjects: Reading, Literature, Reading Strategies. Each question is categorized by page number and topic.This resource conta 1 of 10. Add To Cart Previous | Front Cover; Table of Contents; Excerpt; Back Cover | Next >> 1 of 10. The stories are fascinating as always and the artwork is unbelievably gorgeous!! The selection in the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths proceeds fairly systematically, beginning with Gaia and Uranus and the succession to Cronos and then Zeus, then dealing in turn with the Olympian gods, the lesser gods, nymphs, satyrs and other immortals, and the mortal descendants of Zeus. Fortunately, there are plenty of heroes and heroines who defeat the bad guys and monsters! A few quizzes are over more than one myth if I felt there wasn’t enough content to make a complete q . They won the 1940 Caldecott Medal for, Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths. There was a problem submitting your report.

Now updated with a new cover and an afterword featuring never-before-published drawings from the sketchbook of Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire, plus an essay about their life and work and photos from the family achive. It begins with the stories of Zeus and his family, proceeds to the minor gods, and finishes with mortal descendants of Zeus. Why did each of the gods make the decisions they did?

The 24 novels below are comforting, challenging, upsetting, humorous, intellectual, and unique. What lessons do the individual gods teach us? How do the illustrations connect to the tales about the gods? Based on the content of D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths, and categorized according tolikely reading assignments.This content has now been updated with an additional 425 questions, for a total of 1,070 multiple choice questions. Receive an email when this ISBN is available used. For example, on Lesson 5, it tells you at the top of the page (of either Guide) which pages it corresponds to in the D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths, which happens to be 30-37 for this lesson. It also mentions the people or topic that will be studied. Read, highlight, and take notes, across web, tablet, and phone. Ancient names come to rich and fascinating life in this lavishly illustrated gift book for mythology fans and word lovers. True classic book of mythology that I owned as a child and was delighted to find at an extremely good price on overstock for my mythology-loving son! Teacher Resources are online instructional tools created. Centered around Greek heroes such as Achilles, Hercules, Theseus, Perseus and more, this book is full of exciting tales for children ages 8-12. Use this unique offering to launch a discussion about the elemental power of story and its influence on modern-day language." Read, highlight, and take notes, across web, tablet, and phone. The format of both of the books makes it easy to understand what you should be doing. The contents on this page are copyrighted.

Rent and save from the world's largest eBookstore. It was finally reprinted it and I've owned my own copy for years! Each story comes with illustrations that help the reader visualize the gods and goddesses. Analyze how and why individuals and events develop and interact over the course of the text. This is filled with stories of the major and minor gods, plus mortal descendants of Zeus. Full page drawings illustrate the stories of the gods. Juvenile Fiction / Legends, Myths, Fables / Greek & Roman. These stories offer several meanings, but they tend to discuss the role of fate, the dangers of hubris, and good versus evil. An introduction to the gods and goddesses of ancient Greece. This is a large, coffee table sized hardbound book w beautiful illustrations and informative, easy to understand text. Both adults and children alike will find this book a treasure for years to come. "The colorful artwork and brief chapters make this volume ideal for classroom sharing. Determine themes and analyze their development throughout the text. This book was a collection of the Greek Myths. Hook Your Students . This is filled with stories of the major and minor gods, plus mortal descendants of Zeus. Can we alter our fate or choose our own destiny? Centered around Greek heroes such as Achilles, Hercules, Theseus, Perseus and more, this book is full of exciting tales for children ages 8-12. Previous | Front Cover; Table of Contents; Excerpt; Back Cover | Next >> Add To Cart Close Window. Read full review, This book was a collection of the Greek Myths. This story is told from the perspective of a third-person omniscient narrator. Author: D'Aulaire, Ingri and Edgar Parin. That and#8220;Janusand#8221; was the god of the doorways and hallways, and we have named our janitors after him? Did you know that and#8220;museumsand#8221; were initially temples built to worship the nine muses, the goddesses of the arts? Later when I was older, I looked all over for it and tried to special order it through my college bookstore, but it was out of print. --School Library Journal, "Sure to attract language arts teachers who want students to master word origins, this work will also hold strong appeal for teens who will be attracted by the combination of clever text and exceptional illustrations."--VOYA. Mythology lovers, this is your book. It is great for young and old alike. The brief stories here not only impart the subtle wisdom of these ancient tales, but make us understand the words, and our own world, more deeply.

Our Teacher Resources team will look into the issue.

From the ancient stories of the Greeks and#8212; stories that rang so true and wise that the names of the characters have survived for centuries as words we use every day. True classic book of mythology that I owned as a child and was delighted to find at an extremely good price on overstock for my mythology-loving son!