Mount Vesuvius has not erupted since 1944, but it is still one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world. as being like an umbrella pine, for it rose to a great height on a sort of For those who stayed behind, however, conditions soon grew worse.

by I could boast that not a groan or cry of fear escaped me in these perils, but I admit that I derived some poor consolation in my mortal lot from the belief that the whole world was dying with me and I with it.". In A.D. 80, Vespasian’s son Titus opened the Colosseum–officially known as ...read more, Last month, a team of archaeologists from L’Ecole française de Rome (The French School at Rome), le Centre Jean Bérard and le Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS) began excavating the site of a former workshop on the outskirts of Pompeii, which is located about 18 ...read more, The Jehol Biota fossil beds, located in Liaoning province in northeast China, contain thousands of fossil deposits ranging from fish to the first-known feathered dinosaurs, and from early mammals to birds and insects. © 2020 A&E Television Networks, LLC. trunk and then split off into branches, I imagine because it was thrust upwards They debated whether to stay indoors or take their chance in the open, for the buildings were now shaking with violent shocks, and seemed to be swaying to and fro as if they were torn from their foundations. By the turn of the first century A.D., the town of Pompeii, located about five miles from the mountain, was a flourishing resort for Rom… A few years after the event, Pliny wrote a friend, Cornelius Tacitus, describing the happenings of late August 79 AD when the eruption of Vesuvius obliterated Pompeii, killed his Uncle and almost destroyed his family.

People bewailed their own fate or that of their relatives, and there were some who prayed for death in their terror of dying. The elder Pliny was an official in the Roman Court, in charge of the fleet in the area of the Bay of Naples and a naturalist. Today, the excavation of Pompeii has been going on for almost three centuries, and scholars and tourists remain just as fascinated by the city’s eerie ruins as they were in the 18th century. He changed his plans, and what he had begun in a spirit of inquiry he completed as a hero. and climbed up to a place which would give him the best view of the phenomenon. He described it in two letters to the historian Cornelius Tacitus, providing history's first eyewitness account of a volcanic eruption. He called for his shoes

We pick up his story as he describes the warning raised by his mother: An ancient voice reaches out from the past to tell us of the disaster.

drove the others to take flight and roused him to stand up. He changed his plans, and what he had begun in a spirit of inquiry he completed as a hero. Did you know? It was terrifying–“I believed I was perishing with the world,” Pliny wrote, “and the world with me”–but not yet lethal: Most Pompeiians had plenty of time to flee. after the last day he had been seen - his body was found intact and uninjured, while lying down, and was then working at his books. My uncle decided to go down to the shore and investigate on the spot the possibility of any escape by sea, but he found the waves still wild and dangerous. To this day, the volcano that destroyed Pompeii is considered the most dangerous in the world. and eventually the Bay of Naples became an attraction for wealthy vacationers from Rome who relished the Campania coastline. Elsewhere there was daylight by this time, but they were still in darkness, blacker and denser than any ordinary night, which they relieved by lighting torches and various kinds of lamp.

Ashes were already falling, hotter and thicker as the ships drew near, followed by bits of pumice and blackened stones, charred and cracked by the flames: then suddenly they were in shallow water, and the shore was blocked by the debris from the mountain. Greek settlers made the town part of the Hellenistic sphere in the 8th century B.C. the first blast and then left unsupported as the pressure subsided, or else References: in the early afternoon, my mother drew his attention to a cloud of unusual size

(editor), Selected Letters of Pliny, (1915); Maiuri, Amedeo, Pompeian Wall Paintings (1960); Radice, Betty (translator), The Letters of The Younger Pliny (1969). He owned a number of villas in Northern Italy and Rome. No one knows exactly how many people died, but later excavations revealed the bodies of more than 2,000 people at Pompeii alone. "use strict";(function(){var insertion=document.getElementById("citation-access-date");var date=new Date().toLocaleDateString(undefined,{month:"long",day:"numeric",year:"numeric"});insertion.parentElement.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(date),insertion)})(); FACT CHECK: We strive for accuracy and fairness.

For a moment my uncle wondered whether to turn back, but when the helmsman advised this he refused, telling him that Fortune stood by the courageous and they must make for Pomponianus at Stabiae. He was entirely fearless, describing each new movement and phase of the portent to be noted down exactly as he observed them. Pomponianus had therefore already put his belongings on board ship, intending to escape if the contrary wind fell. As a protection against falling objects they put pillows on their heads tied down with cloths. Some people drifted back to town in search of lost relatives or belongings, but there was not much left to find.

while lying down, and was then working at his books. Its buildings were intact. Then, a “pyroclastic surge”–a 100-miles-per-hour surge of superheated poison gas and pulverized rock–poured down the side of the mountain and swallowed everything and everyone in its path. Next day the dawn failed to materialize, since the black cloud blotted out the sun. Since the relatively minor eruption of 1944, Vesuvius has lain dormant.