Jesus came to give you life and that life is described as abundant. This is absolutely not taught in scripture anywhere. I have always been grateful for the lesson I was taught as a young man that the important thing at a party was not to look for your friends, because they will find you, but to look for the stranger with no-one to talk to, because they invariably have the most interesting things to say. Giving God glory in all things.... 1 Cor. Is there anything in the context of this verse that would back up such a claim? You can see this in the way that Jesus talks about how they “climb in by another way” instead of coming through the door. We see in the next couple of verses that Jesus is demonstrating in his parable that there is a distinction between the one who enters by the door and the ones who enter by another way…. It was said like this. One particular line came to mind as I read our gospel for today, ‘Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you from doing all the things in life you’d like to.’. The world is full of people whose lives have been blighted by poverty or war or exploitation or disaster. Jesus says, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." The service of Compline will be live-streamed on the Facebook page at 8.30pm. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited. It is passing from spiritual death to spiritual life.

Christians often fear risk, because it challenges the dependable stability that they rely on from the church. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. Plans such as a wonderful spouse, a good career, maybe even having a plan for how you are going to be a part of the Kingdom of God. Now we begin to look at what happens after this man worships Jesus. It’s true. Other uses lean towards telling people that Jesus has wonderful plans for our lives on this earth. So he that does not have , I will take from him , even what he has. John 1:4 God the Father sent Jesus to the earth so that people could have life and have it to the full! John 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Abundant life isn’t referring to riches and wealth; but it IS referring to our life on earth – the indwelling of the Holy Spirit enabling us to do far beyond what we could on our own and to see His power at work in our lives. This online service will be live streamed via our Facebook page "St Mary's Old Basing and Lychpit". By all appearances, the man who was born blind was one of Christ’s sheep for he would not listen to the Pharisees (those thieves and robbers) and instead he followed the voice of the Shepard and even worshipped Him. These are words we need to hear as we begin Christian Aid week. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”. In each of these verses the word "zoe" is used for "life" and for "everlasting life". The first way is that they will say something like, “In John 10:10, Jesus tells us that He came that we may have an abundant life.” This charge I have received from my Father.”, There are many teachers and preachers who use John 10:10 today, but rarely do they take the time necessary to tell you about that verse’s context. There are two ways of doing this so I will utilize both of them…. To him the gatekeeper opens. In order to keep this short, I will not discuss this verse’s entire context because the context begins in John 9:1 and continues to John 10:21. People, who quote this verse out of context, commonly quote this verse one of two ways. When you understand that the word ‘abundant’ is an adjective (a descriptive word), then you understand that it is trying to describe the noun in the sentence; namely the word ‘life’. This life that Jesus brings is our salvation. What follows is a big debate between the man who was healed from his blindness and the scribes and Pharisees who want to discredit Jesus. If having life abundantly is referring to our eternal life, why would Jesus say BOTH “I have come that they have life….and have it MORE abundantly”. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. To avoid social contact for fear of being laughed at. And yet we worship a God who, in Jesus Christ, has opened himself up to blasphemy and ridicule, who has given up everything for our sakes, who has risked himself on the roulette wheel of human compassion, and lost, yet in his resurrection has shown us the new life that lies beyond. Jesus came to give us that – not a higher level of that. Eternal Life begins at Salvation and continues far out into eternity. He is the Good Shepherd who lays down his life for the sheep, the shepherd who goes before us, and whose voice we know and trust, and follow. And fear rears its head in all sorts of places. John 10:7-18 So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. The Bible doesn’t teach two lives, one here and one when we die; rather it teaches that for the person who was just “born again”, Eternal life has begun. Christian Agrarianism: The New Gnosticism? I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10 Hi, my name is Mike Gush, I am 24 years old, I have been a Christian for just under five years now.