And I think that’s quite fun, because you’re capable of, kind of, quick and interesting choices. But it looked like you were. describe your character in Blandings to us. And it was… it’s kind of CBT [cognitive behavioral therapy], I guess, that thing where you’re forced to confront what you’ve been denying. He’s started coming back….

But I think her views, her thoughts, her sympathies, her love, has been with him even more. Honourable Julia Montague MP, Rory Haines and Sohrab Noshirvani (Creators & Writers), Nicolas Brown and Julie Pastor (Executive Producers), Part one: November - December 2018 (1918-36), Part two: February - March 2019 (1936-53), Part four: June - July 2019 (1980s-Present), Classic comedy and drama from the Radio 4 Archives, An interview with Michael Gunton, Executive Producer, An interview with Rupert Barrington, Series Producer, Filming from the Savannah to the South Pole…, Interview with Matthew Rhys (Billy Winters), Interview with Allan Cubitt (Writer and Director), Interview with Simon Harper, Executive Producer of Holby City and Casualty, Holby City: 20 years, 20 facts and figures, An interview with Gemma Arterton (Clover), An interview with Freddie Fox (Captain Holly), James Prichard (CEO and Chairman of Agatha Christie Limited and Great-Grandson of Agatha Christie), Damien Timmer (Executive Producer - Mammoth Screen), Sarah Phelps (Writer and Executive Producer), About Agatha Christie and The ABC Murders, Entertainers presented by Kathleen Turner, Don Warrington (Commissioner Selwyn Patterson), BBC reveals new coming-of-age programming, Adrian Dunbar (Superintendent Ted Hastings), RuPaul and BBC Three ru-veal the first ever line-up for RuPaul’s Drag Race UK, Frank Tallis (Author of the Liebermann novels), Maria Fernandez-Ache (Palma Police Chief, Ines Villegas), Ben Donald (Executive producer and founder of Cosmopolitan Pictures), Sarah Brown (Executive Producer, STV Productions), Charlotte Riley (Lottie/The Spirit of Christmas Present), Michael McKean (Witchfinder Sergeant Shadwell), Neil Gaiman (Writer & Executive Producer), Douglas Mackinnon (Director & Executive Producer), The Greatest Dancer 2: Live Challenge Shows, Interview with Trieve Blackwood-Cambridge.

MASTERPIECE: I think if he just allowed Demelza to play matchmaker someday… MASTERPIECE: He’s sort of creating and presenting the narrative. And so, it’s simultaneously a gesture of humility, at the same time totally saving face, asking them to be as hard about it as he is. And that’s how he does it. Freddie So in my version, I’m not sure that he would find love again. We are fascinated by your turn as a rent-boy in Carmen Disruption. But I definitely think Elizabeth is key. Agatha is the greatest—although George struggles to admit it, I definitely know that she is the greatest, so I would play cards with her in a heartbeat. Absolutely, MASTERPIECE: And what do you think you’ll miss the most about playing George? People died much younger than Elizabeth all the time, and they would remarry and carry on and start again. His A younger George would have leapt at that, and I think he does—just through a kind of muscle memory, he finds himself leaping at that going, “Great, how can we get one over on him and Geoffrey Charles?” And then gradually, he realizes that he’s in deeper than he thinks, and both he and his uncle are surprised by the extent of the Hanson and Merceron duo’s power and danger. MASTERPIECE: I should hope so! We don’t behave in one way. It reminded me almost of how in a Marvel movie, a villain is dead, and then it sort of regenerates! Jennifer, Mark and David is a dream. There it's so well loved and hasn't been done that much on TV before. MASTERPIECE: George’s recovery is almost as heartbreaking as his rock-bottom. MASTERPIECE: I hope so! We think, “Ugh, there he is, back to himself again.

And I mean it, I’m not that wonderful with heights, so it was scary—but it was good. He is a well-meaning, charming I kind of want that preserved for him too.

Blandings An all-star cast heads up BBC One’s brand new period comedy series, based on PG Wodehouse’s celebrated stories There is still a treasure trove of material to

You don’t want them to feel cheapened or pushed away or short-changed. And this was this kind of grand, epic-scale one of those. I think he never quite accepted who he is, and he’s always pushed and pretended to be someone else. There is nothing too Talking of which, we can’t find you any social media… is there a reason for that?

Find out about new shows, get updates on your favorite dramas and mysteries, enjoy exclusive content and more! But I have had the opportunity—as we came to an end in the filming, it starts to dawn on you how much of the last five years you’ve given to this show and how grateful we are. MASTERPIECE: He’s gone through these major life events of becoming a husband and a father and an MP and experiencing grief.

I have sort of strange feelings towards him. While he was still a student at the London Academy of Music & Dramatic Arts, he was spotted and was chosen to play at the Globe Theatre as Benvolio. And why?

Find out in MASTERPIECE’s exclusive interview with actor Jack Farthing, who talks George Warleggan’s journey, madness…and Marvel! I’m hearing a similar thing from you, and I think maybe that speaks to the production.

of joy and optimism. And I really embraced, as I was saying before, the stuff that felt almost out of character.

saw the levels of preparation and concentration that they have. He has plucked out the most He can go on doing that Spoiler, I was attached to a rope.

Wodehouse and Agatha Christie, to the all-conquering Sunday night hit Poldark. FARTHING: Well, it was long.

MASTERPIECE: It’s fundamentally heartbreaking when George leaves Trenwith at the end. FARTHING: Well, yes, as you say, we film out of sequence, so that certainly wasn’t the last thing I filmed. MASTERPIECE: Now that the series is over, what do you think you might wish for George’s future (regardless of what is ahead in Winston Graham’s books)?

I was really aware that What has been the most satisfying thing to you about his journey? books are goldmines of detail. I loved that show very much.

And such an interesting thing happens right before your eyes: he just returns to this callous and transactional world view. He’s constantly playing a part, and pretending. He’s writing the last page of that story. FARTHING: I guess the most satisfying thing is how far he’s come. So he courageously goes against what he might normally do, and goes against himself in a way, and tries to make the higher choice. Because it wasn’t out of character. And it’s a very difficult thing. There is so much in them. We are constantly behaving out of character or surprisingly, depending on who we’re with and what we’re going through and how we’re feeling that day. MASTERPIECE: Can you describe making that harrowing scene where George is at the edge of the cliff, about to take his life, until Dwight rescues him? You’ll be answering as yourself, not George…So, who would you rather spend time with, Tom Harry or Harry Harry? And and it does lead to this moment, which is a kind of pivotal change for him, for sure. MASTERPIECE: Over the seasons, George has gone on this journey from the grandson of a blacksmith with a chip on his shoulder—who, by the way, was bullied by Ross when he was young, which I don’t like! So it was very sad, and I absolutely remember shooting that. We’ve all got to know and love Debbie over five years, and she’s just done a masterful job of getting inside Winston Graham’s head and bringing those books to the screen. I’m like, “I think I’d like George to find love again.” But you’ve lived with him, and so it makes sense that it would be a little more complex than that. He knows that, whatever the likelihood is, it’s probably more likely than not that this might be Ross’s child, but this is not something that they can entertain.

FARTHING: I’ll miss hanging out in those unbelievable houses. Please They have all been so welcoming, Wodehouse and Agatha Christie, to the all-conquering Sunday night hit Poldark. Simon Stephens is a very clever man. A lot more time passed during the series than five years, but it really allowed all of the characters to really go somewhere. And your answer to my question might be just, “acting”… but what I really want to know is, by what dark magic did you achieve this total coup where our sympathies come to lie with George, entirely?! He is also traumatic in his universe. Do you think it’s because he loves Elizabeth so much, and as an audience, we sympathize with that? It was all there. And I guess…the fun. I FARTHING: Yeah, I hope so too. was just a really exciting thing to be involved with. FARTHING: Yeah, I know! How do we sell this and keep their history?” And I guess my final thoughts for it, when we were doing it, were that by saying that, “He is after all, no relation,” he is putting the possibility of that not being true very much in the room. MASTERPIECE: What was it like for you this season since Poldark went off-book, to discover that George had such a great story line? Because you read it and you think, “Oh, my God. Interview by David Newton / Photography by Etienne Gilfillan, Jack Farthing is building quite a name for himself in high-quality TV and movie dramas, from P.G. What led him to shoot Toussaint and Hanson, and above all, to save Ross? But with George, I was given the opportunity to really travel somewhere with him. He got into acting when he was in school. the most celebrated in the English language. FARTHING: I’d like a full borough, and then I could fill it with burros. So I think I would credit George and his complexity more than I would credit me, definitely. So I’m not sure he really had a moment, not that we saw anyway, to appreciate what he’d done. It’s just him and the very different sides of himself. An Interview with Jack Farthing, who plays Freddie. The adaptor Guy Andrews is a magician. I just need to sit here, and it’s all there.” So that was lovely. FARTHING:  Obviously, very exciting. working with wonderful people makes you up your game, and that has I wish I’d had kind of Marvel in my head, would be really useful! While

I like to remind people of that— us more about what makes Wodehouse so special. So I’ll miss that, for sure, I’ll miss that. Very full. What did you get to that made this work? I think maybe it gives more room for the kind of complexity and ambiguity that viewers want as much as actors. But everything is thrown out the window. I can’t remember exactly what it said, but it was something along the lines of what you just described, that he’s crying, he’s crying, he’s crying, and then suddenly he stops, and it’s like he’s started the process of recovery. Over the last two, three years, it’s become apparent to people that those feelings are real and that it’s not just about a trophy on the shelf; he’s deeply in love with her and has been forever, really. But I remember very clearly knowing that this is my last scene, this is George’s last scene in the show. I definitely think, without trying to sound grand or anything, there is a responsibility when you put these things on TV. life is whether or not your pig is eating enough. #PoldarkPBS I have experienced grief, but I’ve never experienced grief like he has, in such kind of proximity and with such power and scale, so I spoke to a couple of psychologists who deal specifically with people who are going through things like that.

home. We’re really looking forward to seeing your movie Official Secrets.