Catch the Parting Gifts at this year's Goner Fest 7 in Memphis, TN (September 23-26) just in time for their debut album to make its way into your record collection. Sounding like a young Tammy Wynette working with a pre-crazy Phil Spector, Coco anchors "My Mind's Made Up" and "Born to Be Blue" in specific predicaments-- a love triangle, an abrupt departure-- and makes them sound like supercharged Ettes tracks. 1,937 likes. Combined with the layered shimmer of shoegaze, gorgeous simplicity of indie and bludgeoning weight of post-hardcore, it is a smorgasbord of influences designed to ensnare and enrapture.

Parting Gifts by Capstan, released 15 November 2015 1. The shape that stamp would take was one shrouded in mystery. Coco may not possess the same eloquent despair Cartwright conveys so effortlessly, but she does have a youthful sass and smartass phrasing that contrasts eloquently with his more mature hound-dog burr. IT TURNED INTO AN ALBUM. Offers Cartwright, "I was just so impressed with how easily things went that I was inspired to write more material for the project." From shop stylizeddesigns. And as if the talents of Cartwright and Hames weren't enough, the album features intense performances from Dan Auerbach (the Black Keys, BlacRok), Patrick Keeler (the Greenhornes, the Raconteurs), Jem Cohen and Poni Silver (the Ettes) and Dave Amels (Reigning Sound, Daptone). “Things like the fear of losing it all, the fear of being away from home for long periods of time. By checking this box I consent to the use of my information provided for email marketing purposes. It is a feeling of release that we all possess. PARTING GIFTS. Parting Gifts. It’s there but it’s not forced. I just couldn’t write something happy now.”, Ultimately Parting Gift is more than just a band. “I listened to a lot of black metal when I was younger. Keeping their identity a second thought and using hauntingly simple imagery to let people make their own assumptions of what everything actually meant, debut single ‘Be Still’ and follow up tracks ‘In Mind’ and ‘Asleep’ epitomised letting the music do the talking. GREG AND COCO GOT TOGETHER TO MAKE A 45. With that in mind, I didn’t want to get into a band which already had its aesthetic fully formed.” he explains. Even at such an early stage in their journey, the band is serving as a vessel for the most human parts of existence and Zac hopes that can continue as they venture deeper in what it truly means to be. The Parting Gifts, however, provide a Loretta to his Conway, a Nancy to his Lee-- namely, Coco from the Ettes. www.partinggiftxx.com By checking this box I consent to the use of my information provided for email marketing purposes. "I thought, I'd write a song, Greg would write a song, we'd record them together, and that would be that," says Hames. Pitchfork is the most trusted voice in music.

Built from the loose ends of several different projects, the band became a place for him to express his own vibrant vision of what music can represent. The band shares songwriting duties and recorded an album, "Strychnine Dandelion" (In the Red Recordings). The band itself is a pick-up group featuring, among others, Cartwright, members of the Ettes and the Greenhornes/Dead Weather, and (at least on record) Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys. Parting Gift is a place of expression through the emotions that this existence deals out. 5 out of 5 stars (1,728) 1,728 reviews $ 9.25. Solo performances We wanted to make people want to know more.” Privacy Policy. Using the darkness of the world we live in to create something beautiful is a very special trait and one that he doesn’t take lightly. On "Bound to Let Me Down", they trade verses like jaded lovers, exchanging blame and recrimination with wine-tinged kisses: "How do you stand so straight when your mind is so crooked?"

"Luckily Greg's prolific awesome switch was on, and we got this whole record instead."