Dr. Dewell Gann Sr. was a town doctor in late nineteenth century in Saline County, Arkansas. The Privett Family Photo Album, “michaelminn.com.” Last modified 2011. The next shot is in the interior and shows a set of stairs that are obviously going up to a second floor. Self-Published by the Saline County History and Heritage Society, Inc: Benton, Arkansas. Actor Billy Bob Thornton picked that mannerism up from hearing old men in the south speak.

Let's try to use Google Maps to find the exact location of landmarks in the movie. cache 5h 1m From the lighting and camera's viewpoint to the acting and music. These scenes were filmed at the Arkansas Health Center, which appears in the credits under its old name, the Benton Services Center. Located in Benton, Saline County, Arkansas.

1998. Without the help of those two sources, this story could have taken a very long time to put together. In order to become a museum an extension was added out of modern materials on the backside of the original hospital. If you've binged every available episode of the hit Disney Plus series, then we've got three picks to keep you entertained. This week I saw it with fresh eyes. The diner was a real treat growing up. De Soto crossed that same path down the old Southwest Trail I think he even ended up in Hot Springs, Arkansas later in his travels which is a town claimed to be the boyhood hangout of both Thornton and former president, Bill Clinton. Sling Blade was filmed in Benton, Arkansas.

He moved his shop because they built a Big Red Gas Station on the spot after that. Here's another frame from the movie, the famous football scene in which Karl and the kid take on the neighborhood and bond as an ersatz father/son unit. URL: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/ar/ar0100/ar0104/data/ar0104data.pdf. Edit. 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Adapted Screenplay [Updated: November 9], 14 October 2020 On the other hand, the new owner doesn't have to buy new advertising and signage; and keeping the former owner's name on the establishment does preserve the culture, especially in a case like this.

The film was filmed on location in Marion and West Memphis, Arkansas and Memphis. Heck, one of them is even in a wheelchair and he doesn't much hop when Doyle says hop.

Karl Childers, a simple man hospitalized since his childhood murder of his mother and her lover, is released to start a new life in a small town. For while it has all the earmarks of a great work of literature, "Sling Blade" is actually an original creation by Thornton, the triple threat talent who wrote, directed and stars in the work.

The old Benton Police Station on West Walnut Street was used briefly in a scene where Karl is looking around “Millsburg” before meeting Frank (The little boy) at the Laundromat.

Well, that’s because it was filmed here. It was built in 1852, making it the oldest standing home in Benton. Historic Marker, National Registry for Historic Places.

[6] The bridge may have been used by various armies and settlers to filter into the area to stake their claims on Saline County land but to my parents’ generation it was just a shortcut to nearby Haskell, Arkansas.

He says the man is head of the household.

Somebody writes a check and assumes a local identity, a generation of goodwill, without having actually having built it up themselves. Walsh, John Ritter and Lucas Black. I can remember living there briefly in the apartment that was added to the Berry House. The film was written, directed and starred Billy Bob Thornton and co-starred, Dwight Yoakam, J.T.

Walsh, John Ritter and Lucas Black. Encylopedia of Arkansas History and Culture, “Benton (Saline County).” Last modified February 29, 2012. Ever since the movie came out in the … 20 Movie Rentals That Never Let Stephen King Down ... View production, box office, & company info, Billy Bob Thornton (play), You can see in the image (right), how Bill Cox's Repair Shop looked in the movie Sling Blade. I found the Econ-O-Wash, by using the "Search nearby" feature in Google Maps.

Yes No. It was made up entirely out of Bauxite, the valuable ore from which Aluminum is derived. I enjoyed every scene, but thought that three really stood out. [4] That pretty much ended the Westside Bulldogs and the East Side Cougars in all places except the hearts of those in my parents’ generation who rekindle their animosity every football season.

Karl caught his mother cheating on his father with a local boy named Jesse Dixon, he “Just seen red” and killed the pair with what he called a “Kaiser blade.”[2] The usual term for that particular implement is a Sling Blade, thus the name of the film. People all over the world have seen this diner. The bridge itself was built in 1891 according to the Historic American Engineering Record written up for the National Park Service in 1988.

Historic American Engineering Record: Old River Bridge (Saline River Bridge). I watched the movie twice while researching the story and was struck with the realization that I misunderstood significant aspects of it when it first came out, particularly the character of Doyle, the abusive boyfriend. | Billy Bob Thornton’s character Karl Childers walked across it in 1995-6. Military Ave. is one of the longest and widest streets in Benton. Its claim to fame is that it was the only building ever made up of the stuff.

Ever since the movie came out in the mid-nineties, when I was starting elementary school, we all saw this movie many times. Her maiden name was Lewis. I have heard any stories telling how kids from either school would skip class with some friends, cross the Old River Bridge and be in Haskell in no time.

[1] Thornton, Billy Bob, John Ritter, Lucas Black. Many of the locations are no longer there. Note: VirtualGlobetrotting is an entertainment website is and is not associated

The diner where some key scenes from “Sling Blade” were filmed is also still there. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. You've got to play through it.". To the right of the movie-still (below), you can see that same intersection from Google Maps. That scene with Billy Bob and John Ritter also spawned the funny and completely politically incorrect joke “Not funny haha but funny queer.”[10] Which was Karl’s way of acknowledging that he understood that Ritter’s character was in fact homosexual and that line will forever be remembered just as much as Karl’s “Mmhmm” after every sentence. 1 December 1996, 09 November 2020 Some natives of the area and Thornton’s own mother refer to it as the “Nervous Hospital.” So, the patients there weren’t really sick, they were just real nervous.

After they get out of the car, we get a close-up of the mailbox (see here), which has "1111" on it. 1998. p.119.

Miramax Films. Billy Bob Thornton has been an inspiration to me since first seeing his movie.

I don't like potted meat.

[6] U.S. Department of the Interior and the National Park Service.

Ferguson Drive at Military Road from the movie.

Historic Marker, National Registry for Historic Places. In my grandparents’ day that same building was the original Benton Senior High School.

Sling Blade is one of those movies that I would love to sit down and talk about for hours with a friend. Karl Childers, a simple man hospitalized since his childhood murder of his mother and her lover, is released to start a new life in a small town.

Directed by Billy Bob Thornton. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. It was a big hangout for young kids in the summer for soda, burgers, ice cream and the best BBQ sandwiches around in the 1970’s for my parents. The big moment comes when a drunken Doyle threatens to kill Linda if she leaves him. The house used as Jerry Lee Lewis’ childhood home is located at 93 Military Road in Marion. Arkansas is one of the top places to film TV shows and movies in the South. 2020 International Emmy Awards nominations: Full list led by Glenda Jackson, ‘Back to Life,’ ‘Criminal UK’.

In the movie the name of my hometown was changed to “Millsburg “ but we all knew what it really was.