I won't either. AMAZON BARNES & NOBLE GET WEEKLY ... From eradicating his slovenly ways to finishing his book in record time to becoming a celebrity of the late-night bar-hop circuit, Eddie is on the rise, fueled by increasing doses. Alan Glynn is a graduate of Trinity College.

You're with him for the ride and it allows you to attempt to draw certain parallels with yourself.

Refresh and try again. If your interested in these ideas, this book is for you. The Dark Fields is a 2001 techno-thriller novel by Irish writer Alan Glynn. A spinoff of the film based on the novel premiered in 2015, under the same title. [1] It was re-released in March 2011 under the title Limitless, in order to coincide with its 2011 film adaptation.[2].

tags: limitless-2, receptor-u-s. 0 likes. The Limitless Script Improved This Solid Work, Reviewed in the United States on September 3, 2013. The film was directed by Neil Burger and starred Bradley Cooper, Abbie Cornish, Andrew Howard and Robert De Niro. Reviewed in the United States on November 13, 2018, A GREAT BOOK TO READ, FAST SHIPPING AND WORTH THE TIME TO SIT DOWM AND READ THIS BOOK, Reviewed in the United States on February 3, 2018. It's a case of an author being out of his depth.

It was released in the United States and Canada on March 18, 2011. And The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn is no exception. There's a problem loading this menu right now.

The role of several characters was also changed in the movie adaptation, while others are altogether absent. I think Alan Glynn has anticipated the future. 3,75 (6) 6 stemmen . Carl Van Loon, too, takes a similarly antagonistic view towards Edward, whom he tries to blackmail into doing his political bidding in exchange for a steady supply of the drug. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 21, 2014. As he drifts into a semi-conscious state, Edward watches on as the President – visibly under the influence of MDT – announces the deployment of US troops into Mexico in a televised address to the nation. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. A sequel to the book The Dark Fields, Under the Night, was announced by its author and Amazon indicated that the sequel (in ebook form) would be available as from 4 October 2018. Thanks very much!

Very similar yet so different to the film (limitless). His stash running out, Edward makes a desperate attempt to blackmail the pharmaceutical conglomerate responsible for developing MDT into providing him with continued access to the drug. Gripping Story, film does not do the book justice! Worth every cent. Please try your request again later. Will we manage to resist the temptation to take these risky substances? It's hard when you see a brilliant concept executed poorly. Overall I couldn't put this one down. Please try again. I was fairly ruthless and threw out things I'd been keeping for no good reason, stuff that if I died my unfortunate executor would have no hesitation in throwing out either, because what was he going to do with it... what was he going to do with old love letters, pay slips, gas and electric bills, yellowed typescripts of abandoned articles, instruction manuals for consumer durables I no longer possessed, holiday brochures the holidays of which I hadn't gone on... Jesus, it occurred to me -- as I stuffed all of this garbage into a bag -- the shit we leave behind us for other people to sort out.”, “I could watch news, but that'd be too much like work. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. This one is amazing. Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2017. It was subsequently republished in America as Receptor: A Novel, released on 8 January 2019. One night a year in spring, the biggest orgy on earth is triggered by lunar light. The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn was one of my favorite books I read on the job for Miramax Films back in the heyday of literary development and now it’s in production as a major feature film starring Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro (from Rogue Pictures and Universal Pictures).

The experiment introduces him to MDT-48, a mind-expanding smart drug, which takes him away from his wife and young son and straight to the corridors of the richest and most powerful people of his day.

Edward "Eddie" Spinola is a copywriter at a small publishing house in New York City.

Welcome back. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 29, 2017. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness.

Good ending, brillant writing. Reviewed in the United States on October 10, 2013. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. A spinoff of the film based on the novel premiered in 2015, under the same title. Was this a first draft? His gambit fails when men break into his apartment and steal his remaining MDT. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 30, 2015. I didn’t realise that the book had actually been re-released under a different name to tie-in with the film. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. This book is a very great read, fast shipping and paclaged very well.

It's my favorite book. Unable to add item to List. Over 60 years later, Ned's grandson, Ray, meets Clay Proctor—a retired government official who may be able to illuminate not only Ned's life and death, and also the truth behind the mysterious MDT-48. He then continues driving aimlessly up north, and eventually checks into a remote motel along the Vermont highway, where he pens his account of the last few months of his life and the events leading to his ultimate downfall. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Realizing he is on a treadmill of addiction, Edward tracks down another user, from whom he learns of the existence of a drug, readily available over the counter, capable of negating some of the harmful side-effects. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Please try again. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. There is a lot of differences between the book and the movie. [6], This article is about the 2001 novel. I have to admit, I was completely drawn in right from the very beginning. The Dark Fields - Alan Glynn (2001) Alternatieve titels: Roofbouw | Limitless . But before long, Ned is dead. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. THE DARK FIELDS. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Amazing tale, and fresher if you've seen the movie!

“It was one of those imponderables of existence that months, even years, can go by without anything significant happening, and then suddenly a cluster of hours comes along or even minutes, that can blow a hole in time a mile wide”, “Then I took another sack and started going through all of the papers on my desk, and in the drawers of the desk. I am a huge fan of the Limitless movie and I believe there's actually already a drug that exists that has some small percentage of the impact that the drug in the book has. Reviewed in the United States on June 28, 2010. He further learns the full scope of the side-effects from his ex-wife Melissa, who had dabbled in the substance and suffered permanent neurocognitive damage, prompting him to gradually discontinue use of the drug. His first novel, Winter Challenge 2011: Completed Tasks -DO NOT DELETE ANY POSTS IN THIS TOPIC. Expect some splits from the movie if you're coming into this with that in mind, as the book ends far away from the film. mijn stem. (Illuminating) The Dark Fields is mentioned in the film as the name of the book written by the main character. For other uses, see. You're with him for the ride and it allows you to attempt to draw certain parallels with yourself. It is a sequel which follows the events of the film. [3] All that being said the book is good, the script for Limitless was better and I recommend both versions! To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Edward is suspected of bludgeoning to death Donatella Alvarez, the wife of a prominent Mexican artist, during an MDT induced fugue state. Reviewed in the United States on August 12, 2016. I read this book over the last two days. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. For example, the novel is set during the peak and subsequent collapse of the Dot-com bubble, with allusions by several characters to "irrational exuberance" in the financial markets. BUY NOW FROM. His trading escapades don't go unnoticed, and he is offered a job by billionaire tycoon Carl Van Loon, mediating the merger between entertainment giant MCL Parnasis and Abraxis, the country's second largest Internet service provider – a deal he sees to completion. It is a sequel which follows the events of the film. US hardcover edition (2002) under original title, "Under the Night - Alan Glynn - 9780571316250 - Allen & Unwin - Australia", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Dark_Fields&oldid=963721643, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in Irish English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 21 June 2020, at 12:12. Eddie pops his first pill, and it is from this point that the full on adrenaline rush that is 'The Dark Fields' kicks in, gripping the reader relentlessly until the final full stop. He is also the author of Graveland, Winterland and Bloodland, ... ― Alan Glynn, Under the Night. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App.

He starts using MDT-48, an experimental drug granting heightened intellectual, creative, and learning powers, and enabling its user to see meaningful patterns in large amounts of disparate data.

... and I'm normally a very slow reader who doesn't get wrapped up in books. Error rating book. Was an Excellent read. Fantastic book and the influence behind the movie 'limitless', it was delivered very quick and was perfect quality whichbwas surprising for an older book. Edward initially reduces his intake to half a pill a day, but this quickly proves insufficient to maintain the level of mental acuity required to work out the details of the merger, and he is forced to increase the dosage. Thank you. He then receives an anonymous phone call on his land-line informing him that he had been under surveillance all along, and an unwitting guinea pig in a clandestine clinical drug trial. The book was originally published in 2001 and was called The Dark Fields. This proves to be a mere stop-gap measure, as Edward realizes the need to secure a steady supply.

"The Dark Fields" takes its time to flesh out the main character but it's not a bad thing. Overall I couldn't put this one down. Van Loon's daughter, the object of Edward's infatuation in the novel, is replaced by Lindy – who leaves him at the beginning of the movie, only to rekindle their relationship after being charmed by Edward's NZT persona. The screenplay roughly mirrors the events portrayed in the book, albeit with a number of significant differences. However, his indiscriminate use of the drug leads to panic attacks and blackouts.