If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business.

Most of these players played around the turn of the 20th century. It is widely acclaimed as one of the great books written about baseball. A heart as big as a watermelon, and made out of pure gold”, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 2, 2016. “Honus was a wonderful fellow, so good-natured and friendly to everyone. A brilliantly evocative book of a different time and place.

The book is, if I understand correctly, interviews with ballplayers, transcribed from tapes which now reside in the Hall of Fame at Cooperstown. The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told by the Men Who Played It is a 1966 book, edited by Lawrence Ritter, telling the stories of early 20th century baseball. Players like Rube Marquard, Tommy Leach, Davy Jones, Sam Crawford, to name a few. Free shipping

This is a must-read for baseball fans. Ritter worked hard to track down baseball players who plied their trade at the turn of the century and up to the 1940's to produce a work of genuine insight and warmth. For the 2020 holiday season, returnable items shipped between October 1 and December 31 can be returned until January 31, 2021. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Reviewed in the United States on February 2, 2018, Incredible book on bygone Baseball & America, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 22, 2018. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 5, 2015. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 21, 2019, “ The Babe would give you the shirt off his back.All you had to do was ask him.The big fellow wasn’t perfect.Everybody knows that. It was absolutely delightful! The audiobook gives you the actual recordings themselves - you get to hear the voices of these great old players telling their stories, which is an experience worth having. Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Now available as a Harper Perennial Modern Classic, The Glory of Their Times is the book every baseball fan should read.

Next. And let me say, that I wasn't dissapointed in the least. In one of the greatest contributions to preserving the history of professional baseball through the lengthy process of tracking down and interviewing the long-ago retired players that made the early era what it is, Lawrence Ritter’s “The Glory of Their Times” deserves every ounce of credit and appreciation it has ever accumulated, and then some.

The result is very interesting and even riveting. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. If you like baseball or history this will be a great read.

The stories are terrific. He collaborated with fellow baseball historian Donald Honig on The Image of Their Greatness and The 100 Greatest Baseball Players of All Time but is best known for The Glory of Their Times, one of the most famous sports books ever published.

Listening to these old players talk about times I wasn't even alive for was still so amazing. It is a series of oral histories by famous baseball players from around 1900-1920. Makes it seem like such a different time, and it was indeed. This is the book to be read by those who wish to truly understand the history of baseball. But if you're interested in listening to stories of the very early years of baseball, then this is for you. The author didn't start collecting the histories until the mid-1960s, so a lot of better known names (i.e. . Wonderful, and as an avid baseball fan myself, many of the names drummed up memories of when I was a kid studiously poring through all the old hall-of-famers' (et al) names and stats with reverence. Thank you! You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Many of them played for John McGraw's Giants.

I wanted to get him a copy without paying a lot for it, as this wasn't a birthday or Christmas gift -- just something we wanted him to see.

However, he talked to about 20 former players and then essentially transcribed their conversations.

If you haven't heard of record-smashing singer and songwriter Mariah Carey, is there any hope for you? Harry Hooper played with him on the Red Sox every year that Ruth was there (1914-19); Sam Jones was on that Sox team from ’16 to ’19, then on the Yankees with him from 1922-26; and Lefty O’Doul was on the 1920 & ’22 Yankee teams.