It is definitely worth a try, if you have the time and patience. I read this book for a college class. The authors are more concerned with themes and trends rather than with specific events or historical characters, so while some things are discussed in detail, others are barely mentioned. , but this places them in their wider global context. The way the subject matter is covered is truly impressive, it flows in an interesting continuation made up of regional chunks from start to finish and provides context for all of history. Now, for the, In his monumental History of the World, J. M. Roberts delivered a powerful vision of human history as a story of change, a deliberate shaping of experience and environment.

Military History of Encyclopaedias & Pictorials, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Excellent condition and on time delivery. Software. Since I spent over a year reading this book (I don't have a lot of reading time and I can only read so much history at a time) I figured I would write a review. John Morris Roberts, CBE, was a British historian, with significant published works. An illustration of a 3.5" floppy disk. It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness.

I picked this up as a primer to the subject and was impressed not just with the immense scope but also the detail: a lot of time is spent on India, for example, a country with one of the most fascinating histories on the planet. I recommend having a pencil close at hand, as well as access to your favourite search engine. — E.D. There are currently no items in your Shopping Cart. The authors have really done something amazing with this.

Try again. — Dat Van Der Vat, The Guardian, * "For the student, eager to understand better what led to the war, how it was fought and ended, and what happened afterward, Total War can be well recommended." Learn more. Brogan explores the period leading to Independence from both the American and the British points of view, touching on permanent features of 'the American character' - both the good, Examines the beginning of the Christian movement during the first centuries AD, and the explosive force of its expansion throughout the Roman world, The beginning the sixteenth century brought growing pressure within the Western Church for Reformation. I don't even remember much of anything in the book that's more than about 300 pages back. Could be improved with a larger overall format, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 30 August 2013. an ambitious synthesis . This acclaimed analysis of the causes and courses of the Second World War has stood the tests of time and criticism. J.M. The chapters regarding the 20th century, however, focus heavily on the history of Europe and could encompass (hopefully in future editions) in greater detail the political and social progress of nations/states in Latin America, Central Asia and Africa. The idea of this book is incredible. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 5 July 2011. Sorry, there was a problem saving your cookie preferences. Amazon Price New from Used from Hardcover "Please retry" £6.82 . Of particular interest for me was the coverage of Britain's wartime administration and how its command economy enabled a logistical and economic miracles entirely out of proportion to its size and resources. Go to our Spain store to continue. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App.

The Penguin history of the world by Roberts J. M. (John Morris) Synopsis. This remains a key work."

I really wanted to give this 5 stars. --Lawrence Freedman, Sunday Times (London) "A key work." This is a good general world history which actually treats the world as if it was round, rather then ignoring regions like China or South America. I thought you want. An illustration of a 3.5" floppy disk. Audio format refers to the way an audiobook is recorded. "— The Sunday Independent. Pritchard has added a whole new dimension to our understanding of the Japanese internal situation and the international environment in which its leaders operated." A concise introductory book to, well, the history of mankind. The entire history of the world, from evolution to the great recession. I look forward to reading the latest edition.

After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Unable to add item to List. At 1187 pages, this book obviously takes a while to finish, and the fact that it is not a simple description of events, listed in a chronological order, makes it sometimes hard to follow. This is a completely new and updated edition of J. M. Roberts and Odd Arne Westad's widely acclaimed, landmark bestseller The Penguin History of the World. The Christian church had to adapt to great changes - from the social upheavals of the Industrial Revolution to the philosophical speculations of Kant's 'Copernican revolution', to Darwin's evolutionary theories. Requires no prior knowledge of the subject by the reader, while offering all necessary explanations and clarifications where necessary. See all 3 images. The Penguin Atlas of World History: From the French Revolution to the Present: From the French Revolution to the Present v. 2 (Penguin Reference Books), Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK, Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost, Dispatch to this address when you check out. Roberts, CBE, published The Penguin History of the World in 1976 to immediate acclaim. 'A work of outstanding breadth of scholarship and penetrating judgements. Audiobook, The Rise of a Global Power, the Democratic Revolution at Home, 1945-2000, by

History: From the Dawn of Civilization to the Present Day, History Year by Year: The ultimate visual guide to the events that shaped the world, History of the World Map by Map (Historical Atlas). Now, for the first time, it has been completely overhauled for its 6th edition - not just bringing it up to date, but revising it throughout in the light of new research and discoveries, such as the revolution in our understanding of many civilizations in the Ancient World. Indeed, in many respects, Japan was obliged by this logic to undertake what it knew to be a desperate adventure in order to secure its very survival as a power. — The Sunday Times, * "Few written records deserve, like Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, to rank for generations to come as the authoritative work on decisive events in world history. The detail is thorough and magnificent (and critically important) but the reader needs to be thoroughly awake and alert to keep track of it all ............ and I’m still reading the book. roberts, This is a completely new and updated edition of J. M. Roberts and Odd Arne Westad's widely acclaimed, landmark bestseller The Penguin History of the World.For generations of readers The Penguin History of the World has been one of the great cultural experiences - the entire story of human endeavour laid out in all its grandeur and folly, drama and pain in a single authoritative book. The book has been brought up to date in the light of the latest research." Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Above all Brigden sees the key to the Tudor world as religion - the new world of Protestantism and its battle with the the old, This new edition of Brogan's superb one-volume history - from early British colonisation to the Reagan years - captures an array of dynamic personalities and events. He also served as general co-editor of the Cambridge History of the Cold War.

Roberts makes the point that while our world culture is cle.

A multicultural, multinational history of colonial America from the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Internal Enemy and American RevolutionsIn the first volume in the Penguin History of the United States, edited by Eric Foner, Alan Taylor challenges the traditional story of colonial history by examining the many cultures that helped make America, from the native inhabitants from milennia past, No period in British history today retains more resonance and mystery than the sixteenth century. The writing, although not beautiful, was occasionally pithy, and the author does a phenomenal job of tying the past to the present and future.