Veuillez renouveler votre requête plus tard. Margaret Lea grew up in a household of mourning, but she never knew why until the day she opened a box of papers underneath her parent’s bed and found the birth and death certificates of a twin sister of whom she never knew.

But as Margaret succumbs to the power of her storytelling, two parallel stories begin to unfold... What has Angelfield been hiding? A very fine, gothic-style mystery, written in the present, with delicious flashbacks. Téléchargez l'une des applis Kindle gratuites et commencez à lire les livres Kindle sur votre smartphone, tablette ou ordinateur. Little by little, she discovers the hidden truth, the side of the story that has never been told. If you have to customize your Internet security settings, follow steps a & b, then go to step 5: Check that you entered your information correctly. So, I listened to a LOT of audio books for those years. Bravo! The Thirteenth Tale is a spellbinding mystery, a love letter to storytelling, and a modern classic. Margaret Lea never imagined the outcome when she, as a devoted modern, bibiophile, living with her parents on top of their book store, wrote a biographical essay, Oh to be lost in a book. And even if you avoid gothic novels like I do, this one . Sélectionnez la section dans laquelle vous souhaitez faire votre recherche. The request takes Margaret by surprise–she doesn’t know the author, nor has she read any of Miss Winter’s dozens of novels. Contending with ghosts and with a (mostly) scary bunch of living people, Setterfield's sensible heroine is, like Jane Eyre, full of repressed feeling—and is unprepared for both heartache and romance. Vida's history is mesmering - a tale of ghosts, governesses, and gothic strangeness. It's a story that leaves a residue. But seriously, I love Science-fiction, so no diss. Vida Winter, gravely ill, wants…, ¿Dónde está la verdad? Though we can ship hatching eggs within Washington State, we do not ship live birds. There is more here of Margaret discovering than of Vida cooperating wholeheartedly, but that is part of Vida's plan. THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Setterfield is not a book you read then forget. Vida has been confounding her biographers and fans for years by giving everybody a different version of her life, each time swearing it's the truth.

She balks because she has only written obscure biographies of obscure dead literary figures, but the letter intrigues her with its praise of the power of stories: Yes, this is a book for book-lovers! It is, no doubt, well written (language-wise)... (I did find one mistake), but the storyline doesn't really inspire the reader (or shall I say me) to continue. When I listened to the author talk about the book writing process And her definition of “entertaining” and the more serious notion of “reading satisfaction” I want to affirm that this story was very satisfying - the layers, nuances and truth telling were compelling. But maybe ther.

Think the final episode of Sherlock where Moriarty's sister is some kind of wunderkind evil genius at the age of 5. I was really surprised how much I loved this book. The protagonist, Margaret, grew up in a bookstore and learned to read using 19th century novels, and there are clear parallels in the story to Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Turn of the Screw, and so on. Two different actresses are used: one representing Margaret, which is the primary voice; and one to represent Vida Winter as she is telling her story to Margaret. THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Setterfield is not a book you read then forget. The Haunting of Dark Hollow Road: A Ghost Story & Paranormal Mystery (Taryn's Camer... Goodbye to Budapest: A Novel of the Hungarian Uprising, Dark Voyage: Horror And Mystery On The Arctic Seas (Tales From The Dark Past Book 1), The Haunting of Griffith Tavern: A Paranormal Mystery (Taryn's Camera Book 2). © AudioFile 2007, Portland, Maine--, Margaret Lea, a bookish loner, is summoned to the home of Vida Winter, England's most popular novelist, and commanded to write her biography. The familiar device of a "story within a story" is employed, and sometimes it even contains another story. Doesn't happen. This site requires JavaScript. “All children mythologize their birth...So begins the prologue of reclusive author Vida Winter's collection of stories, which are as famous for the mystery of the missing thirteenth tale as they are for the delight and enchantment of the twelve that do exist.The enigmatic Winter has spent six decades creating various outlandish life histories for herself -- all of them inventions that have brought her fame and fortune but have kept her violent and tragic past a secret. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.

I can’t remember why I bought this and it’s probably not fair that I rate it because at times I felt like I was reading a novel in a language I don’t understand. It's a story that leaves a residue. They can alter you. Désolé, un problème s'est produit lors de l'enregistrement de vos préférences en matière de cookies. Veuillez réessayer. Diane Setterfield will keep you guessing, make you wonder, move you to tears and laughter and, in the end, deposit you breathless yet satisfied back upon the shore of your everyday life. Book by Setterfield, Diane. According to the inside cover, Diane Setterfield writes full time, so one would presume her second book should be out shortly.

Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. The author has real talent as a story-teller, as well as a wordsmith. THE THIRTEENTH TALE. I think you can count me out though ... sorry to say. I was part way through The Thirteenth Tale when I was lucky enough to hear Diane Setterfield speak at the 2018 Henley Literary Festival about her approach to writing and, in particular, about her forthcoming book, Once Upon A River. Build-in Book Search . It wasn't the 5 screaming stars that I was almost expecting from reading some of my friends reviews, but I did like it a lot. It was once home to the March family: fascinating, manipulative Isabelle; brutal, dangerous Charlie; and the wild, untamed twins, Emmeline and Adeline.

Un problème s'est produit lors du chargement de ce menu pour le moment. If you did, you'll know it was excellent, but if you didn't, read the book instead because, as usual, the book is even better.

Melodrama on top of melodrama.

2 stars.

In fact the "rule of threes" goes throughout this book echoing its fairytale feel.

You will find yourself contemplating the characters and everything that happened for a good day or two.

See all 29 questions about The Thirteenth Tale…. I won't relate the story, as others have done so already (and I don't personally like to know the story beforehand). As Vida, Lynn Redgrave's voice is surprisingly rough and uneven. If I see that phrase in one more review of this one I think I'm going to scream! Pour signaler une violation de droits d'auteur. Please enable JavaScript before proceeding: Sign up to get exclusive offers, the best in books & more.Plus, enjoy 10% off your next online purchase over $50.†.