This was one of the books I studied for A level. Beh.

Larkin is someone to read periodically to look at the uses of language and the care taken to develop and complete a poem.

£2.25. My first impression upon beginning to delve into Larkin's oeuvre was, "This seems like the kind of poetry Charles Bukowski would have written if Bukowski had been (a) British and (b) more talented."

The table overviews what the poems are about, key ideas/techniques/words and what other 'Whitsun Wedding' poems you could compare them to. Some of the best of the poems are so pared down but poignant, like Home is so Sad or deft and witty like Days. I saw the Whitsun Weddings and just loved the cover art. Though occasionally so reflective that it shrinks up its very subject/dries up all emotion to the point where it disappears altogether, this was the best poetry I've read in the past year. An overview of all 'The Whitsun Weddings' poems by Phillip Larkin. Usually when I say 'read' I mean read once, from cover to cover (apart from the books I abandon).

Untitled poems are identified by their first lines and marked with an ellipsis. Year 5/6 A Christmas Carol Reading Comprehension - The Ghost of Christmas Past. Philip Larkin (1922-1985) remains England's best-loved poet - a writer matchlessly capable of evoking his native land and of touching all readers from the most sophisticated intellectual to the proverbial common reader. Such is life. He first came to prominence with the release of his third collection The Less Deceived in 1955. Welcome back. Philip Arthur Larkin, CH, CBE, FRSL, was an English poet, novelist and jazz critic. by Faber Faber. I made a note to investigate further but never did.

Beautifully crafted, but mainly melancholy poetry, each poem has a resonance of truth about it. This is Larkin's first for me.

An overview of all 'The Whitsun Weddings' poems by Phillip Larkin. I also loved Talking In Bed and A Study of Reading Habits!

Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but not terribly too much. Although a critically acclaimed poet I feel his poems are just too 'deep' to enjoy the anthology. He spent his working life as a university librarian and was offered the Poet Laureateship following the death of John Betjeman, but declined the post.

To see what your friends thought of this book, If you're going to sample Philip Larkin, this is probably the collection to sample.

Larkin cleanly bridges the Moderns' world and his own, expertly carrying their and previous eras' tropes forward while adding his mark.

Can't fault the poetry, but maybe this collection could carry a health warning or subtitle, something like Or How To Enhance a Slightly Depressed View Of Post Brexit-Voting Britain On A Cold Dark Winter's Day... not recommended if you feel like you could do with something cheery.

:). (It's free and what a great Library. He has his charms—glassy lyricism and occasionally bracing rhymes, and a penchant for knockout closing lines—but it’s not altogether pleasant, and it’s not the kind of unpleasantness I prefer. Philip Larkin, a 20th Century poet, was primarily a Librarian at Hull University, but also wrote Jazz reviews and novels.

Some of the poems were very good, some seemed to end too soon.